Re:Mixamo Avatars Heads up!

If you are just using a mixamo avatar, and you just use it as is, you are fine.

But if you want to modify a mixamo rigged avatar elsewhere someday, then it heads up,
it is not going to work 100% time especially if you have no shape keys.

It also is dependent if the avatar has blendshapes or not.

This specific hack is the one I am talking about

where

Is killing the avatar from rendering. Its very hacky and it does not fix all the things 100% and it will give you more headache the more you mod the avatar.

Thats why if you are gonna use Blender, just use Blender.

CC: @Judas and @AlphaVersionD

Thank you for this. Also, thank you for the video on the other thread.

If that was the case we wouldn’t need to use ur rig we could just use rigify (included in blender) or manual bastionis one or even just drag out our own without having to what ever witch craft u performed to make yours work. Then life would be simple and I would have a workflow and hi-fi would be a product I would entertain using as a educational tool.as it stands the leap from here’s how you make a rig to but that won’t work in hi-fi puts it on my things to avoid list.

Well you can drag out your own. But you’d still have to follow naming and have the rotations consistant to and near as possible to an absolute T pose. :slight_smile: which is why I made the template skeleton.

Might check up scripting a plugin later now that I have a few weeks.

If memory serves me well, @Piper.Peppercorn was working on a plug-in for Blender/HiFi avatar pipeline simplification. You might want to check with him on the progress.

I think we need some presets in the up-loader for each of these avatar rig standards.So we can easily import avatars in the unity unreal sl, or whatever formats without requiring all this understanding of Quaternions and Clingons . Hifi should be the Swiss army knife of vr, universal compatibility that’s how u win.

Fortunately, even with the latest one you do not have to think about the quaternions.

Now Ill have to let off some steam on the topic because I just feel like people are “thinking its easier” on other engines but it is not that much more simpler when you have to think of the following factors:

• You have a system where anyone can create any skeleton or avatar
  • You have a system there is no control over what 3d suite is used
  • You have a system where any avatar has to be able to play back animations made for another skeleton
  • It is not inclosed system like Unity or Unreal. There is no proper internal editor nor way to redo after its done.

I dont see this any different from the way you do unity or unreal character imports. Equal amount of headache there, each engine has their own quirks you have to remember. But Most of the headaches always are the animations, this comes back to rotations, or as @Judas puts it Quaternions.

They have their own import tools granted, unless the animations are run through an import tool as well, this will not have full help. Youd still have to do alot of the same things you can do in the 3D suites, but those as well are just tools equal in complexitivity to 3D suites but pretty much do all the same functions as the suites them selves.

Not to sound vain, has anyone other than me actually even tried to import their avatars into Unity or Unreal here with Blender, and use stock animations created with another software and not run through?

Forexample if one modeler does models in Maya and the other does animations in Blender and Bring it to Unity or UE or Other platform You will have cross compatability issues or atleast had to take account quirks you have to take account when doing so. This is why even Unity has a full process to do to get everything working just right. for both avatar and animations, which is equally as complex as just following a standard.

It is never easy, which why people do not do it so often.
The Grass might seem greener on the other side, but let me tell you guys, Ive been alot of fields which Is also why I’ve tolerated figuring the steps out for High Fidelity avatar creation and sticked around the creation madness to go further than others would.

If you just use one suite for the entire project, then you are fine, and thats usually how it works. But…

The Default Skeleton is the Maya HumanIK (Which Mixamo borrows). Need proof? see the default animations you can find under

C:\Program Files\High Fidelity\resources\avatar\animations

Those define the default avatar skeleton and is the baseline to the template avatar.

The beauty here is that yes unlike any other system Ive seen is that you can mod this skeleton with additional bones no problem.

It also doesnt stop you from creating your own skeleton. You can mess around with the animation overrider and create every single animation your self and still have a workable solution at the cost of the animations working on any other avatar but the ones using those animations.

But unfortunately that is still something no one has tackled on documentation.

/rant

Are skeletons in High Fidelity (and sansar) going to be the nightmare of what we have in secondlfie with avatars and clothing ?

How canw e ever get animations that people can buy and use in AO’s if there are going to be so many possible different skeletons.

Sounds like a good story for horror movie :grin::innocent:

It always will be a nightmare unless the import process is always truncated not allowing for custom skeletons and always binding it to a universal human avatar ™.

But thats why I go by the default skeleton. And wrote the standard according to it.

As long as avatars follows somewhat close to it, they will be cross compatible, even if they have their own additions such as wing, tails, spider legs, centaurs, quads, etc.