Recently at times the software "hangs" and can't even start

This happened a few times in the recent days.

What happens is that I start Hifi, and it starts out loading extremely sluggish with the loading time in Oculus very long. At some point, it “somehow” gets into the interface, you hear voices but the image is frozen and you can’t move, basically the software has frozen and you cannot proceed.

The only way to actually get into interface is then by starting sandbox, forcing it out from “Oculus mode” and into desktop. And then from the sandbox “go to home”. Then it loads and you can switch back to Oculus oce it loaded (Of course this is a mere trick/workaround).

I had the impression it’s a server issue and not client problem, but just guessing here.

I am not the only one who experienced this because I had other people on social VR randomly ask me whether I know HiFi because they have the same problem with logging in. Said differently: At times, currently, some people cannot log in.

Also (after login), I often sink/fall into the floor first.

Edit: This just in addition and probably not related to this problem, at times I notice crazy high CPU usage of HiFi in Taskmanager (I have a 4770k CPU), like 50% in Windows10 64bit. This seems crazily high to me. (Because I am assuming that HighFi only uses a max of 2 CPU cores (?), and when it shows 50% in taskmanager it means these 2 cores (from 4) are basically entirely maxed out.

FPS “in game” are also at times less than optimal (depending, people online, number of objects etc.)…but is often going to the point that I see the artifacts from Oculus ASW kicking in, and this only happens when an app/game has really poor FPS so that ASW (the Oculus rendering tech which boosts FPS to 90) needs to work more than it can handle. With then then also comes sluggishness of menus, tracking in HighFi etc…etc… so general performance drop all-around.

Cheers,

It sounds to be a few issues here:

• Frozen Client on startup when in HMD. Is this so that Stopped responding and you cannot even access the Goto menu?

Just to eliminate variables, try logging in without the HMD at all, if it only happens in the HMD, then there is an issue:

Then I have a few questions

1. What is your bandwidth? High Fidelity is surprisingly demanding on this part and some modems and routers have issues with it, not just connections.
  2. Are you connected to your own localhost sandbox service, or are you at Welcome? You say you hear voices but nothing is loading?

To answer some stuff:

1. Now the sinking/ falling into the floor is due to the physics mesh not being initialized, so if you move, youll go right through things. once everything is loaded, so will the collision models.
  2. The Sandbox is your local server that runs on your machine. This shouldnt be affected by latency, although some assets may come from such
  3. High Fidelity is multicore: a core maybe used for the actual client, but then you had download threads that are used to download assets, it hits a separate one. So when you are downloading things, it can hit 50% on a 4770k (Which I am also using)

CC @Caitlyn on getting someone to check this.

It sounds to be a few issues here:- Frozen Client on startup when in HMD. Is this so that Stopped responding and you cannot even access the Goto menu?

Yes correct. As said it doesn’t happen always, but on occasion. And everything is frozen which also means I cannot access any menus when this happens.

Just to eliminate variables, try logging in without the HMD at all, if it only happens in the HMD, then there is an issue:

Seems to me. If I set it to “view on Desktop” I don’t have these problems.

What is your bandwidth? High Fidelity is surprisingly demanding on this part and some modems and routers have issues with it, not just connections.

High. 350MB/s fiber here, fastest available here in town. I don’t think it’s a b/w issue. Router…is “possible” but unlikely, IMHO.

Are you connected to your own localhost sandbox service, or are you at Welcome? You say you hear voices but nothing is loading?

I am using Sandbox when Interface hangs, because it allows the trick with switching the display to Desktop. As opposed to when I start Interface, it might already hang at the Oculus screen. This just as a workaround to get to “Welcome”, through the Sandbox.

Now the sinking/ falling into the floor is due to the physics mesh not being initialized, so if you move, youll go right through things. once everything is loaded, so will the collision models.

Yes makes sense. This “falling through the mesh” is minor anyway.

As for CPU usage, I need to monitor this closer. It was just a few times when I looked at it in situations where it was extremely laggy/sluggish in HiFi so I checked what’s going on.

Okay, yeah then this is definitely a thing the devs should look into and get solved.