Recommended equipment?

I haven’t been in HF for months because my old equipment (a PC and a Mac both older than 5 years) isn’t good enough. Please recommend a good system configuration with good support for Oculus Rift and other hardware interfaces for HF. Thanks!

This is what is listed as minimum requirements on the High Fidelity homepage (https://highfidelity.io/docs):

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

WINDOWS
NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equiv. or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

OS X
NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equiv. or greater
8GB+ RAM
Mountain Lion (10.8) or newer

LINUX
8GB+ RAM

I do nou suggest any of the minimum specs. I have GF980 and I7-4970K. The cpu is fine. But the GPU hit some limits in domains, unless there still bugs and less optimized code that cause framedrops and as rsult a stuttering world.

If you have the money, the best choice is a Nvidia 1080 if you go for nvidia. Im waiting for the TI version if it comes out or wait a little bit longer and go for the next version. I did read the expect that in 2018. It jus depends for me how how quick it’s needed here. But prefefr a 1080Ti as lowest, if available next year. My 980 is not so old. Just want to stretch that a bit longer to. and it’s good to test High Fideity with 980.

I suggest to go for Intel I7 cpu. and i always choice the one that have enough cores but also the gighest clock that is possible. That explains the I7-4790K that is running at 4Ghz and go up to around 4.4Ghz automatic.

Anyway the i7-4970K is already old model this days.

WINDOWS
NVIDIA GTX (1060 Value) or (1070 Good) or (1080 Best) / AMD RX480
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or (i7 Best)
8GB+ RAM or (16GB Best)
Windows 10

And always make sure your Internet has a good upload speed will help you very much Try not to use wireless as well to connect to your router

Recommend at least Internet 1000kbps upload or higher

Thanks for all replies!

If you plan to use an HMD, which nowadays becomes more of a requirement, those minimum specs are below par. Get an Nvida 1070 or 1080 or equivalent. For some odd reason interface has a problem on i5s, so move up to a core-i7, 16GB minimum. Get a good SSD, not the cheap ones missing staging RAM buffers. That system will cost you $1600 to $1800USD.

Some people ask why 16GB - interface keeps growing. Having the memory headroom avoids near term problems.

Just to throw in some data, my older setup prior to upgrading the GPU was the following:

NVIDIA GTX 680 Lightning
Intel i5-3570K @ 3.80GHz
16GB DDR3
Windows 7 Pro

I am now using a GTX 980 Ti Lightning Edition, which makes VR possible, whereas the 680 would never be able to pull it off. Granted, loading in objects does cause lock ups that require me to wait a small moment for it to initialize the loading, so I’m not sure if that’d due to my processor being a generation behind or not.

Assuming you have decent networking (30Mb/sec+) to not be the issue, consider an SSD. The interface app references the disk cache a lot.

The default location of the cache is in the APPDATA location, correct? If so, then it is on an SSD, and the current networking situation should be enough (100 D/10 U). Back on my older connection (6 D/ 0.25 U), it was the same issue… but with speeds like that, it was more obvious in what was causing the hiccups.

I bought an used MacBook, specs below. High Fidelity works well enough on screen so far, I’m not sure if this setup can handle a headset though. I am sightseeing now. Really, a lot of progress since I was in world last time, kudos to developers and creators.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Ony looking at the memory i would already have say no.
But i tried to find a compare. and it’s still no. The graphics is not powerfull enogh for VR.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-6490M-vs-GeForce-GTX-960

I also don’t think this system is powerful enough to run HF with Oculus and similar. But at least I can enjoy HF on screen with good enough rendering and frame rate (I haven’t visited any really complex HF worlds yet though). If I become as enthusiastic as I was in Second Life ten years ago, and if I find something good to do in HF, I guess I’ll end up buying a powerful VR system soon.