Running a Domain Server On DigitalOcean

I have just finished a document that explains how to setup your own Domain-Server to point a place name to through Digital Ocean.

The tutorial is hosted on the Highfidelity Documents page here: http://docs.highfidelity.com/v1.0/docs/digital-ocean-domain-server-setup

In short it explains how for 5.00 a month you can have your own server hosted in a datacenter that allows for a greater number of other avatars talking and chatting on your Domain/Place.

If you follow the link in the tutorial to sign up for Digital Ocean you even get 2 months worth of hosting for free.

Hope you all enjoy!

Digital Ocean, Linode, or another for the complete noob

Everybody… The utterly fabulous Coal !!!

Referrer link is a great deal - it rewards both sides of it, you get $10 free and referrer gets $25 if you eventually spend enough with DO.

For another free $10 (or sometimes more!), look at;

www.retailmenot.com/view/digitalocean.com?c=6777602

Also for those going with Digital Ocean - keep a close eye out for any announcements regarding bandwidth. Currently, each class of droplet says it has X bytes per month, but, if you check Digital Ocean support they have said it currently is not enforced. Once their infrastructure is updated to allow limits and display of use they say they will enforce those caps with to be announced overage fees. But - they will notify well before this happens, if ever. Just something to keep in mind as with the $5/month droplet you could get to limits in a busy domain, especially if you also serve content from it.

One more thought on this - as to geographic location of DO droplet… it makes most sense to pick one near where bulk of your “audience” will be. There’s little advantage to preferring San Francisco unless most of your users (or self) is on US West(ish) Coast. SFO also has a long history of issues, but, they - at last - seem to have fixed that.

Another tip is - if you create a droplet in one region and wish to move it to another later - you do not have to start over. Power down machine, take an image of its disk (free) then in list of images - move it to the region you’d rather be in (also free). Then destroy existing droplet, create a new one in desired region and use image to start with all you had before.

It’s a bit more than easy mode to do that, but it’s not that bad if you find need to do so.

Bear with me...noob question on security
Bear with me...noob question on security

Fantastic, both of you.

I will agree that it makes no difference which region you pick here, I just say SFO as the multiple people I have helped with this setup were all put on SFO and they had no issues what so ever. I can say so far no one has reported any issues thus far to me or had any problems that I saw.

I just suggested SFO in the spirit of High Fidelity and I can say out of everyone who has visited my domain, no matter where in the world they were, they never had issues with voice or otherwise.

Someone in Europe could use the NY data center and maybe shave a few milliseconds from their ping but as I said so far no one has had any issues there from any other geographical location.

Kevin’s domain is on a SFO droplet and people hear him fine in concerts around the globe last times I was there.

Not arguing against SFO at all - just pointing out that with the leverage that HiFi’s geograhpic centric distributed design offers - we should be splitting out hardware into camps so one can minimize latencies. It’s certainly a longer ping time from EU/UK to USA West vs DO Amsterdam or NY which is where you should be if you wanted to optimize for EU <-> US as that’s roughly mid-way. And I have $30 of service credit from outages at SFO accrued over about a year. But - it does seem they finally got that sorted.

Yes - but we’ve been having knock down drag out wars over voice quality and codecs - mostly due to added latency and or lack of the current quality. Since adding a voice codec has been specified as not allowed if adding more than 10mS delay (see worklist item) it is clear it is important to optimize hardware clusters around geographic centers. As this develops and cascaded services begin to appear it will be even more critical to do so as offloading audio to multiplexed audio ACs will get increasingly tricky with widely divergent transit delays. If you add all the delays from sender to AC audio multiplexers to client it becomes rapidly clear that for best results you want as much of your infrastructure near your audience as is feasible.

@OmegaHeron Thank you for your input :smile:

Also as a note, you can edit a post to add additional information to it without needing to multi-reply.

Yes, but then people don’t know there is new info to go back for.

my replies still do not show as replies to a person, even though it registers as one when I first start to type :frowning:

@Coal, it might be worth mentioning (for the truly clueless) in the document here:

Installing BitVise
BitVise is a handy little program the enables you to connect to your virtual private server from Digital Ocean as there is nothing built into Windows to connect to an external system.

That if on a Mac, one would use the Terminal Window.

Oh no…I am here:

"Tutorial:
At the very top you will see the name you set for your droplet, system information and most of all your IP. The IP in this case is “107.170.212.150” so that is what we will use when we connect to the server. Using the BitVise software we setup before, you will now put the IP from Digital Ocean into the box labeled Host… "

Nothing happens when I put that into Mac Terminal.

Nevermind…I found it.

For others on Mac (and who have never done anything like this before)

Paste the IP address you copied from your shiny new server into the Digital Ocean console (under the ACCESS key with the lock icon)–not into the Mac Terminal window.

…I’m getting close… :slight_smile:

Well you are correct I did not put in info for OS X users and I will append it soon. I will also append this post in a little bit with instructions on how to generate a private/public key in OS X and use it.

Edited to add: Follow instruction steps 1 and 2 on this page (do not do #3):

Now at the end of step two you will see you have ~/.ssh/id_rsa and ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub

In terminal type cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub and it will spit out a long string beginning and ending with “ssh-rsa” - copy that entire line and paste it into digital ocean as your public key.

Now you can go about creating your virtual machine and once its done you can connect to that IP using the command
ssh root@ip-of-server

It will automatically connect as you have created your virtual machine (droplet) to use your public/private key.

I am almost there…made my key, destroyed and made another droplet…am in the DO console…it is asking for my Droplet login, and not accepting my login or password… is there an emoticon for sigh and shoulder slump?

Right…so,

1-- the Login and password that the DO console will ask for is in an email they sent to you once you created your droplet.

2-- Then it will ask you to change your password immediately (root enforced) current Unix password <-- this is the same password from the DO email you just used.

3-- Then set a new password

Then…

If you wish to go that route, then sure - the link I gave you told you how to set up a public and private key on your mac, which is why i said stop at step 2.

If you want to set a password and login with the password and then go through that tutorial and switch it then, you can do it that way also.

Edit: If you want a pure OS X tutorial on how to create a public/private ssh key, use this page: https://www.drupal.org/node/1070130

I don’t know, Coal…I thought I was following your directions, but had to go to a few other places, as well, to get the variation for Mac. This is where I ended up. I am not trying to complicate things or confuse (certainly not!)

I am just on a wall because at this point,after putting in http://My_IP-ADDRESS:40100, the DO console is telling me there is “No such file or directory”

I am putting in the actual IP address–not those words!

You cannot connect to the Domain Server until the software is installed. As far as I knew you were not connected to your Droplet yet.

I was trying to give you advice on how to create a public and private key like I explain how to do in Windows in the tutorial.

Tomorrow I will update it for Windows and Mac users then you can follow it 100% step by step.

No, I think I got all the way there…

~I have set the keys
~created the droplet, it is active,
~ the DO Console window is active,

~ said I was “connected successfully”
~ changed my password
~it took: bash (curl -Ls https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nbq/hifi-compile-scripts/master/centos7-compile-hifi.sh)

~ but then did not accept the IP