Saving Your Backup Files to JSON Format for Better Readability (Easier Debugging)

In Stack Manager Settings, go to Entity Server Settings.

• Under “File format for entity server’s persistent data” select Entity Server persists as JSON. This will save your backup files into JSON format:

Here you will see all of your current models. Now when you create a new model, all backups will be saved into JSON format. Ex: models.json.backup.halfhourly.1

The file is much larger than .svo backup files, but allows for easier debugging.

Now to restore lost entities, change the filename of any JSON backup to models.json and your content should reappear.

-Bridget (Hifi Intern)

@judas @Adrian this post could be useful for you.

Interesting idea but I am curious about just how large these files can get before the Operating System caps the size?
(IE the old FAT32 file system would cap at 4 gigs maximum.) I’ll admit that the NTFS system has yet to provide me with the file size limit information that I found so easily in FAT32,

@Foxxe very large and not recommended for something in production. Yet @judas and @adrian (and others) have been having some issues with models files getting lost and blowing out to large sizes. Putting them into Json format will help with the debugging.

Yes, I do recall a conversation upon that matter a few days ago.

Omg Brilliant I had deferred judgment basically because I don’t like Jsons music but it turns out this is exactly what I wanted
the models file in a readable format,^ the instructions worked great, I was slightly worried that it didn’t create the jsons model file but as soon as I added a new model it arrived.
Inside the json is the url for each of my models and the location what not , which means I can probably in future cut paste edit changes and as mentioned above see what if anything has gone wrong.

Thanks @bridget.went nice work :smile:

From wiki: The maximum theoretical file size on NTFS is 16 EB (16 × 10246 or 264 bytes) minus 1 kB or 18,446,744,073,709,550,592 bytes. With Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, the maximum file size implemented is 256 TB minus 64 KB or 281,474,976,645,120 bytes.

From Microsoft answers, click here