Skybox problems

I’ve created a Skybox following the online info, but when imported into High Fidelity the sky box appears as a cube, rather than a sphere, i.e. you can see the edges of the box. How do i make it spherical?

There is a couple of ways to map the skybox. Which method did you use and could you show a screenshot of what you got?

I made this skybox by photoshop and I could use it in HiFi. However, when I import it in, the background shows like I’m in a real “box” but not a skybox’s environment. I would like to know how could I make this skybox shows like I’m in a real envrionment? How do I make the edges disappear and don’t make me feel like I’m in a box?

Thanks a lot!

When making Skybox Cubemaps, you do have to make sure that all the edges of the textures do not have the edges. Its literally mapping it to a cube, hence the name.

High Fidelity also accepts basically all the skyboxes, that say, Unity and Unreal Engine supports.

They can look anything like the following

The mode is automatically selected, depending on the texture width and height ratio.

The texture you showed is the 2nd item on the list, so ill use that as reference. for what I see as the issues:

Since you used photoshop to make the background, you must make sure all the edges blend in already in photoshop, and already looking at the texture You can see that you will have issues with edges. The cube map you showed will have issues with between all edge axieses other than the order -x <-> +z <-> -x <-> -z. So it will definitely make you feel like you are giant cube.

A. Vertical Seams

B. Horizontal Seams

Basically first it is a good idea to make the texture seamless in Photoshop, so that when you move it around and repeat it, it will not have seames like the ones I just showed in B. Because of these seams, it will seem definitely like you are mapping onto a cube.

Once you get it cubemap Horizontally repeatable, then you can load up programs like Blender or Maya and you can use their clone brush in the UV editor on a cube, or sphere (if using the last one) to make the textures seamless.

You can -also- do all of it in photoshop, but it requires alot of rotating the -y and +y around, so youd still save time by doing it in a 3D suite.

Do note that if using the Vertical and horizontal cross, or the row and column, that these are suspectable to shader mip mapping and if the textures get decimated due the edges may be briefly visible.