Stack Manager creating excess instances


#1

I’m not sure what is going on here but I’ve had my system LOCK UP from excessive instances of assignment-client.exe as well as conhost.exe. This has happened numerous times so I’ve taken my domain offline until this BUG is fixed.
(extra note I was not even inworld when it happens!)
Until about a week ago I’ve had no problems of this nature.

The machine running it is as follows

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2210.07 MHz)
Memory: 2559 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.5306
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.06

Viewer SSE Version: SSE2
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/1.0.0g zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 1.5.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 1.05.11
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Packets Lost: 0/6713 (0.0%)


#2

@Foxxe thank you for the info. Can you give me more information about how the other assignment-clients may be starting?

  • Are you restarting your domain?
  • Are there any scripts running on the domain?

Also can you confirm that you are using the latest Stack Manager? https://highfidelity.com/download/


#3

I restarted it once yesterday, after it created almost THIRTY instances of EACH aforenamed file. The 2nd time it locked up was about an hour or so later. That time there were 15 instances of files. After that one I just shut it down until a fix can be discovered.

I had this issue a week ago but I blamed it on a nightly backup system that I’d been running for well over a year (which I halted from running). Seeing that the same problem re-occurred though, I think I can rule out the backup system as the culprit.

As for scripts, I don’t do any scripting so there can’t be any.

Nothing else runs on this machine btw; it is strictly for stack manager.

Version of stack manager is 86. (the most recent) and when I update the viewer on my main machine, I also update the viewer on the “stack manager machine” (I’ve heard this helps keep the domain viewable)


#4

When Foxxe reported this I took a look at the processes spawned by the stack manager on my system. I’ve noticed high CPU% when nothing is running in the domain. I also checked the nodes: soundmixer, 0 listeners, avatar mixer, 0 avatars, entitiy server, idle.

Yet CPU% is 39?

And a lot of assignment.exe processes:

I do not have a sense of what is nominal for the stack manager, so perhaps someone who does could explain?


#5

My knowledge is that 5 or 6 assignment-clients is the max. currently that run after restart.,
But carefull in the past the stack manager where not reliable whith shutting down all assignment-clients.


#6

Here’s hoping there is a fix soon. This kind of thing CANNOT go on.


#7

I forgot to mention that when I shut down the stack manager, all of the assignment.exe and related console window host processes are also terminated. So it does not look like a process leak. When I launch the stack manage, 5 assignment processes are spawned. Additional ones are spawned manually when I click on the “Run Assignment” button, so all that looks reasonable at first. After several hours, the assignment process count creeps upward.


#8

@Balpien_Hammere when you update your stack manager what do you do? Do you “Stop Server” first then quit? Or just exit?


#9

I stop server, wait a few seconds, then exit the app. With the task manager running I see all the related processes terminate.


#10

I ALWAYS shut the server down before updating (as there is often a conflict if I don’t)


#11

Hi @Foxxe I believe I have a repro that will create multiple instances of Assignement-clients.exe . This will be fixed shortly and I will update you


#12

thanks! :smile:
(I hate 20 character minimums!)


#13

Just checked today after 18 hours of stack manager up time, found two extra assignment.exe processes running. It seems that if anyone enters the domain, extra assignment processes are started up. When people leave, they remain, as if the process pool of assignments is not trimmed. They are being tracked because an orderly shutdown of the stack manager terminates all the assignment processes.

I just restarted the stack manager, saw some updates arrive. Might those be fixes to this problem?


#14

@Balpien_Hammere when you say 2 extra, what was the total?


#15

Starts off with 5, ended up with 7 this time. Previous time it was up to 11 assignment.exe processes. Previous to that (see photo I attached in my previous posts) the count was 15.


#16

from looking at your previous picture you should by default get 7.

  • Entity server
  • Audio mixer
  • Avatar server
  • 2 assignment clients that you created. The ones that have the “Stop” next to them
  • A spare
  • One that is controlling them all.

The bug is, if you restart your server from the web panel you may start spawning new ones.


#17

Yes, in that config I had 7. I tried other configs with no manually started assignments at 5. After about a day I had 11 in one interval and other time 15.

and no, I did not restart the server from the WEB panel. All the cases I mentioned were via the control window: first Stop Server, wait a few seconds, then [x] close the window.


#18

@Balpien_Hammere the latest update of the domain server should not create unnecessary assignment clients. Let me know if that is not the case.


#19

I’ll be looking forward to the next build of stack manager then. (hopefully it will help some of the other system megaproblems)


#20

Just restarted my domain server and see how it goes. I noticed that when it happened, one or more of the assignment processes are running at 60% utilization of a core. Hopefully this change fixes that too!