Hi everyone! Last Friday, the Text to Speech v1.0 app arrived on the Marketplace, hot on the heels of Beta 76. TTS v1.0 is available as a certified Marketplace app here. Grab it from the MARKET app from within Interface.
The Text to Speech app allows you to communicate in High Fidelity using Text-to-Speech synthesis.
The TTS app was inspired by our desire to give a communication option to users who can’t or prefer not to speak in VR. TTS is also a fun communication option to experiment with when hanging out with friends!
There are a few limitations of v1.0 of the app to be aware of:
- The app only works on Beta 76 and newer.
- The app only works on Windows, since it relies on Microsoft’s Text-to-Speech API that’s built into Windows.
- You can’t change your TTS voice from within the app. Right now, the app automatically selects the TTS voice that the Windows API has listed as “default”. You CAN change this default from within Windows, but it’s a bit of a pain (see below).
Here’s what the app looks like:
Here’s what it’s like to use the app (in video form!):
(unofficially, i am very much looking forward to the memes that come out of you all using this app. please share your hifi tts memes with me on twitter.)
Here’s how to change Windows’ default TTS voice, which will affect the TTS voice emitted when using the TTS app in Interface:
- Open Start -> type “Control Panel” and press Enter
- At the top right, next to “View by:”, change that to “Small icons”
- Click “Speech Recognition”
- On the left, click “Text to Speech”
- Under “Voice selection”, pick a new voice, then press OK
- Restart Interface if it was open. Enjoy!