The Artist Guild of High Fidelity (AGoHF) - Standards

Introduction

Welcome to High Fidelity, the future of the Internet. The goal of this topic is to collaborate on a set of community standards which can be used by artist. Our mission is to establish community standards on building modular, interactive, quality, seamless in-world components. This post will serve as the master list of those standards so the first post will be updated regularly as new standards are added or changed.

We welcome anyone to participate and collaborate on these standards by posting a response below. Once a recommendation has been approved by X members, it will changed on this post.

@VR_Architect

Membership

Each member of the guild progresses upwards to Artisan status by completing a series of tasks.

Apprentice

• Create X objects following the standards below
  • Have those objects reviewed for standards compliance by Y AGoHF members of Artisan level
  • Offer those objects above for free in the High Fidelity Market Place

Artisan

Members who reach this level may use the AGoHF acronym in all their Market Place publishing. It symbolizes objects comply with the standards and are made with a certain level of quality.

Definitions

Era

An Era is a period of time marked by common characteristics and events. From an artist perspective, defining an era helps to provide continuity of the vision we wish to portray. For example, it may not be desired to have a ray gun appear in a old west setting. For the standards purposes, the goal of an era definition is to help users in the Market Place search for objects that share a common era.

Era Codes:

W = Western
S = Space
M = Medieval or dungeon
A = Can be any era. (e.g. bread, cup)
0 = 1980 - 2020
1 =
2 = 1920’s
3 =
4 =
5 = 1950’s
6 =
7 =
8 =
9 =
0 =
TBD

Language/City Codes:

A = Any language, any city
E = English, any city
U = English, any United States city
R = Russian, any city
S = Spanish, any city

Standards

City Blocks - CB (with roads, sidewalks)

• Sizes

• All blocks are to be 100 HiFi units wide, 100 HiFi units depth, and 3 HiFi units tall.

• In Blender this is X units wide, X units depth, and X units tall.

• In 3DS MAX this is X units wide, X units depth, and X units tall.

• Textures

• General
    -All textures should be no greater than X by X pixels.
    -Only FBX binary formatted textures work in HiFI

• Displacement
  • Occlusion

• Specularity

• Diffuse

• Blocks types:

• H = Horizontal block
    • Txx = Transitional block, used to transition from a flat horizontal block to a sloped block. “xx” in Txx represents the slope amount in degrees. All slopes are in whole amounts with no fraction of a degree. For example: T15 represents a 15 degree slope. The slope must be in one direction only. The point where the slope begins must be in the exact middle of the block.
    • Sxx = Sloped block. “xx” in Sxx represents the slope amount in degrees. All slopes are in whole amounts with no fraction of a degree. For example: T15 represents a 15 degree slope. The value of the slope must be continuous. The slop must be in one direction only.
  • Naming

• All blocks must have this code in the description in this format:

• Era, Language/City, Block Type
    • Example: 0ECBT15 is Era=1980/2020, Language/City=English, Block Type=Transitional City Block with 15 degree slope

Land Blocks - LB (open spaces)

Water Blocks - WB (ocean, lakes, rivers, streams)

Ship Blocks - SB (space and water-based ships)

Building Blocks - BB (like office buildings)

Interiors Modules - IM (doors, windows, walls, portals)

Underground Blocks - UB (caves, underworlds, subway tunnels)

Planet Blocks - PB

Transportation Modules - TM (Trains, cars, buses, etc.)

General Information

Domain dimensions - Each domain is 16,384 units wide. A unit is considered a meter for the guild’s purposes.
Domain center = The center of a domain is at the coordinates of 8192, 8192, 8192
Axis colors = Red is X, Green is Y, Blue is Z
Axis directions = Width is X, Up/Down is Y, Depth is Z, x red, y green, z blue.
Textures supported = Only FBX binary formatted are supported.

AGoHF Members

Artisan

Juju-b - @jujub - MAR15
@Misprint - MAR15
Grayson - @Grayson2015 - MAR15
Scott Peal - @VR_Architect - MAR15

Apprentice

@VR_Architect - Since the Marketplace is managed by High Fidelity, I assume you ran this through someone officially?

It’s a community guild and has no impact on how the Market Place is ran, coded, nor controlled by the “officials”. This is standards for artist to work together for a common cause and good of the community. Basically the only thing that would happen to the Market Place is that guild members would place a code in their descriptions so people can search for what they are looking for. If needed we can change the guild name so it’s doesn’t seem so “official”? Maybe just “The Artist Guild” (TAG) ?

What’s your thoughts?

How to use DropBox as your model hosting site.

1. Create your model
  2. Save as a FBX binary format
  3. Create a Shared folder in Dropbox
  4. Copy the model up to the shared folder in Dropbox
  5. Click the button to get the shared url link. Mine looked like this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyxm3nci7caj0az/YourModel.fbx?dl=0
  6. Change the number at the end of the url link from zero to one like this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyxm3nci7caj0az/YourModel.fbx?dl=1
  7. Use the changed link in HiFi

I feel compelled to argue with this idea but that is mostly down to the term Standards. I like the categories. I think it could use scale. Id like HIFi to have a rl scale standard ie doorways are 6’6" by 2’6" kitchen units are 600mm wide(damn did you see me switch seamlessly between imperial and metric )
In the name of creativity these standards shouldn’t be the law but they really could serve a essential purpose

Yeah, one of the mistakes made with SecondLife was rather than making sure all objects were set to the same scale, and that that scale was directly RL scale (i.e. if something was a meter across IRL it should also be a meter across in SL meters) we wound up with some makers enlarging SL scale of things by some arbitrary amount (130%?) from the actual size, while also having to compensate for the fact many of the pre-packaged avs from LL were also taller than RL, and having to compensate for the fact that LL in their infinite wisdom had placed the camera view high enough above the av that builders were forced to always have high ceilings in their buildings. oO We definitely do not want to repeat that mistake in HiFi. So, yes, its best to nail down a standardized scale that everyone will build to, so that stoves from one merchant will slot easily into the opening in another merchant’s premade house, for example.

The “larger than life” scale that some of us use in Second Life is deliberate and makes the ceiling heights of buildings in Second Life higher than usual in order, as @Nathan_Adored noted, to accommodate the default behind-and-above-the-head camera angle so that inexperienced users entering meeting areas are not immediately looking through a floor or wall and needing to master separate camera positioning to attend meetings, classes, etc.

Yeah, all of that came about because of LL setting the cam position way higher than it should have been, and way higher than just about every other isomorphic-ish 3D world (i.e. MMORPGs), and then steadfastly refusing to place optional, lower cam position presets into the viewers, that users could switch to at their leisure, when LL were told of the problems the higher cam position brought. It was shear stupidity.

Agreed @Judas, @Ai_Austin & @Nathan_Adored

First Person is a good option. It’s useful to have the mirror so we can self-observe at the same time. Having created many ‘super-scale’ buildings in SL, it’s wonderful to have the opportunity to have a camera angle and location from a first person view (much like Mouselock) in SL.

Well done again HF for thinking this one out.

Welcome to Juju-b ( @jujub ) as the latest member of the guild.

@DebsRegent , @Judas, @Ai_Austin & @Nathan_Adored, and others - Great feedback and ideas. Could we solidify a draft set of recommendations for guild members to follow when creating certain assets for HiFI? There is a lot of good experience between you all.

For example,

Minimum door width: ?
Minimum door height: ?
Minimum room width: ?
Minimum room height: ?

In case anyone wants to collaborate, I am currently working on city blocks, drop me a line. If you are working on another area, please feel free to share information here.

@VR_Architect I agree.

Standardisation is a useful tool, even if used only as a set of guidelines which people can choose to adopt. I always use workflows and standards when designing. So it makes sense. Others may (or may not) choose to adopt standards. As for me, yes I think it would help everyone to have guidelines - providing they are workable.

As we’re in Alpha, what about creating an ‘Alpha’ set of user standards. We could start with the regular sizing of things in real life and adapt them as we come across issues. I’d go for measuring in metric though (a personal opinion).

I like TAG. Clever.

Welcome @Grayson2015 to the artist guild and welcome to HiFI !

Welcome @Misprint to the artist guild and to HiFi !

Hi. I’m a novice when it comes to this sort of thing. I’m mostly self-taught when it comes to art, and I’m still learning the basics. I dabbled in Second Life and OpenSim very briefly, and coming in as an amateur, trying to create content for it was a nightmare. I’m really excited about the future of virtual reality, and I want to get involved as quickly as possible. Having community standards for asset creation will make it that much easier for beginners to create, so I’d like to lend my support to this effort.

Thinks that hifis dimensions are in meters, So if we just build to real life scale

Yes units should be measured metricially. Regarding door widths and stuff. That is hard to determine at the moment with the work being done with controller code.
I would suggest making objects to realistic measurements, door frames might want some slight adjustment to allow for collision, but assume we should generally be using realistic metric measurements.

I like the concept of codes for assets, I think something like this should be ratified and implemented.

Funny how a guild can forget 1 of the most important content for a virtual space, which is Animation.

May I suggest, Avatar Attachments, should just be Attachments, as what else would you attach something too.
Then Attachments would be AT, not AA, cause Avatar Animation should be AA.