The Welcome Thread. Introduce Yourself!

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

I am Puddles. I have been a DJ in Second Life for a while and very excited to be doing a gig in Rust Club.

I am running High Fidelity on a Bootcamp Mac Pro (2012), Titan-X GPU and HTC Vive Pro. And your world looks lovely! :slight_smile:

Puddles xx

9 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Emily, I just started as High Fidelity’s community/social media manager in November. Nice to meet everyone. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m originally from chilly Michigan, but happily moved out to San Francisco five years ago.

First, the difficult question… cake or pie? Key lime pie has always been a favorite, but so is carrot cake or vanilla cake with strawberries and buttercream frosting. I also could eat sushi for almost every meal, so there’s that.

My favorite things about High Fidelity are the beautiful community and domains. I LOVE traveling, especially internationally, so making and maintaining connections worldwide is highly important to me, as is exploring awesome places (both in-world and real life). I particularly love Japan and look forward to seeing a related domain (and a Studio Ghibli one!). The National Parks domain looks awesome; I love camping and hiking IRL. I enjoy photography both in-world and IRL, too.

Other than very specific pie/cake/all sushi, VR, and travel-related things, I love cats. I’ve watched a lot of “how to foster baby kittens” type videos and can’t wait to do so, along with adopting my own kitties. This will hopefully happen after the holidays, but until then, please enjoy these two photos…

My previous roommates’ cat, Rob… he was the best lap cat you could ever have. :heart:

And this is not a kitten I got to foster, but one that was pictured in videos I watched (credit to kittenlady.org).

Looking forward to meeting you in-world!

10 Likes

Wow, what a surprise to read your name here :slight_smile:

Back in 2007, I’ve got invited by Rissa Maidstone to attend a full-week Secondlife event organized by Dr. Dobbs Journal. During this week I’ve got my first lessons in scripting (a Logo Turtle) and how to build a Plane. Yes, I was a little bit late, but I attended your workshop. It was so much fun!

Unfortunately I delete my plane later by accident, but I have still a flying carpet I created later from what I learned by you in my inventory and of course one of your fameous E-Chutes.

I started my journey through Virtual Worlds back in 2007 in Secondlife and I’ve got addicted. Believing in its potential I created a concierge service with a bot who was able to handle simple tasks and answer questions, but was also able to call a real agent to take over control in case there was a need for. At the time I’ve got this finished the SL hipe was over and the interest of potential customers was low.

What started with a business in mind continued as a hobby. While still being a resident in Secondlife, I later explored Opensimulator and always kept an eye on Sansar and HighFidelity.

It’s amazing how much happened here on HiFi since the last time I’ve seen it. And it’s amazing to see in which direction it developed. It’s no longer what I thought is the vision in the beginning, but the big picture looks still the same. I expected HiFi primarilly to become a kind of a global service infrastructure for any kind of Virtual World, with lesser engagement on the Server Component and Interface Client side than there is today.

Anyway, it’s time to take a closer look again as things sound very promissing and exciting.
See you in-world :wink:

7 Likes

Ahoy there!

I’ve been following HF for a few years, ever since seeing Philip Rosedale present a very early alpha for a meeting of the Israeli VR meetup back in the DK2 days.

I’ve been thinking of doing something here for a long time… what finally made me take the dive is actually being asked to help with a middle school FLL group’s project. :slight_smile:

Who am I:
Some people consider me a VR expert, I don’t usually argue.
I have an active FB group of VR fans and devs in Israel here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VR.Israel/

I’m not a programmer.

What I can do is solve problems that require creative thinking and then run away before the implementation phase starts. XD

I think that’s enough for an intro.

8 Likes

Hello! I’m Ryan O’Shea, and I started playing around with High Fidelity more seriously after we booked Caitlyn Meeks as a guest presenter at our Pittsburgh VR Meetup, which I co-organize. I was fascinated by everything she said, and wanted to become more involved!

I currently livestream VR on Facebook (I’m part of their Facebook Level Up streamer program), and am interested in exploring the various possibilities of VR. I’m also the founder of Future Grind, a podcast and video series that explored the ethics and implications of emerging science and technology (robotics, AI, synthetic biology, VR, space travel, blockchain, etc) - so feel free to check that out on iTunes or at futuregrind.org!

Beyond that, Im the founder of an AI startup that is currently one of the top 10 teams in the IBM Watson AI XPRIZE, an ambassador for the ANA Avatar XPRIZE, a leader of Pittsburgh AI, and more.

Feel free to say hello!

10 Likes

Emergency Mustelid Hologram at your service. Please state the nature of your mustelid emergency.

How you discovered High Fidelity

I’ve been a casual follower of Philip since I discovered Second Life in 2005, and once I was able to get a computer powerful enough for High Fidelity it was inevitable.

What would you like to do with High Fidelity or VR in general, and/or what are you currently working on?

Right now I’m more immersing myself into the world before I start hacking on it.

What do you do for fun (other than VR stuff)?

Write code, read science fiction and fantasy, occasional role-playing games (non-computer-mediated).

Cake or pie?

Tiramisu.

6 Likes

Hello!

I’ve already beein in HiFi for about a month but I never really introduced myself in the forum. I stumbled across HiFi thanks to Oculus Rift. I am not a content creator or a coder. I actually came for the social aspect of HiFi. I first logged in during the New Year’s eve party (I missed the main event. u_u). I saw the potential HiFi had so I gave it another go later in January 2019.
I was blown away by the great community as well as how easily it was to click with people who were there. I was so excited to see the creativity of those who already are making content for HiFi. The art that I have seen so far has started to encourage me to work on my drawing skills and possibly learn how to make 3D models. So far I am loving what I am seeing and the community has been pulling me back in ever since I logged in.

I am an avid video game player (PC and Xbox) and a lover of nature as well. I love to go camping with my husband and take some photos of natures beauty. I am somewhat shy in RL but I find it easier to talk in HiFi.

I like pie… nom nom nom

9 Likes

Greetings…I am a fairly new Oculus Rift user and came across HiFI via the Neferterri Tomb tour experience and then the BIngo event. I am newly retired and love VR rift experiences for fun, exercise, and VR travel. I am looking forward to exploring more of this High Fidelity in world.
Give me German Chocolate cake AND Sweet Potatoe pie…or a fancy cup cake.
Outside of VR…I LOVE to play tennis and hope to start travelling again.
Here is my fur baby…his name is Rambo.

Robin

10 Likes

Hi I’m Dave, and have been a long time lurker here, popping in every now and then to see how things have been progressing, but feel now is the time to start digging into this wonderful platform. Previously, I was known as DJ Linden, and worked on bringing Enterprise use cases to virtual worlds during the hey day of Secondlife about 10 years ago. Boy were those fun times! I see a lot of potential with High Fidelity, and hope to contribute to the community here. Cheers!

9 Likes

Hi, some things from this can be introduced in theaters …

2 Likes

High Fidelity VR: The Movie? :smiley: :smiley:

In ‘mono’ :grin: The graphucs are not high fidelity.

My name is Jim Intriglia; I’m an innovative creator and Renaissance Soul. I’ve been pushing the boundaries of business, technology and education as an entrepreneur and career IT professional for over 30 years.

I discovered High Fidelity after years of watching Phillip Rosedale and Linden Labs innovate Second Life. Excited to have my new VR rig up-and-running and be in VR world after so many years of waiting for a quality immersive VR experience.

I’m interested in connecting with other VR enthusiasts, researchers and innovators that are working to:

• Develop VR in-world business/professional networking and educational presentation events.

• Create immersive spatial environments that support university level and professional mentoring, advising and coaching.

• Innovate and develop new VR in-world creative expressions that progress the art of communication and presentation to the next level.

For fun, I enjoy hanging out on the beautiful Gulf beaches, sailing and flying in real world and VR simulations.

Cake definitely; triple layer chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream icing, please.

Have fun!
Jim In Tampa Bay

6 Likes