Threejs.org/editor (takeaways and other thoughts)

I stumbled across THREE.js’s prototype editor earlier – http://threejs.org/editor/ – and a few of its editing concepts might be interesting to consider in general:

• Object Translations:
  • To move linearly, you grab an axis.
  • To move along the ground, you grab a planar handle (like below image).
  • To move within screen space, you grab at the center point.

I like how this compresses 7 translation possibilities into 3 kinds of gestures that only require 1 controller button to use (and a pointing device – but without need of keyboard). Also the axis and planar handles are symbolic representations of their effects.

This factoring appears to offer incremental “dexterity zones” – ie: grabbing at the axes is easier compared to grabbing at the planar handles, which in turn are easier to grab than the singularity in the middle. I believe that’s in dexterity-order for performing actual translations once activated too.

• Undo/Redo:
  • Uses a command-pattern implementation with built-in persistence.
  • (if curious their documentation has more details)

This seems like a powerful pattern for decoupling the concept of “editing session” from local time and space (even without a centralized server). Right now it seems to be used for restoring the undo stack across page refreshes, but something like “macros” can be recorded by causing undo histories and distributing/playing back elsewhere/later (provided something like keyframes can be found).

• Publishing:
  • The whole Scene can be “published” into a self-contained Zip file…

I like this kind of bundling because it means artifacts can be “passed around” as single files, but without necessarily becoming obfuscated as a side-effect – ie: they could remain well-organized while still supporting binary and compression. Fun nathanoid: just about everything with the THREE editor appears to run locally in the browser – including import, export and publishing to Zipfile.

There are some other neat “game” concepts in there too, but nothing that struck me as noteworthy just yet.

Hmmmmm… factoid… not necessarily what you thought it meant. :slight_smile:

The use of factoid has changed over my lifetime… I remember when I was a kid it only had the usage of “false statement believed to be true”… but now most people use it to mean “a trivial or small item of news”…

That English language… always fun…

Yeah, sometimes you want to smack the English language upside the head with a large toon trout. oO