Toggle-able overlays and input plugins

Hey guys! Just some quick announcements:

As I’m sure some of you have noticed, the overlay is now toggle-able with middle mouse click on mouse, or just ‘o’. This is mostly for use in HMD mode but you can use it in 2D also. This is a part of a general overhaul to the overlays to improve the experience. You can also toggle them with controllers by pressing whatever buttons you have bound to the actions SHIFT + LEFT_HAND_CLICK/RIGHT_HAND_CLICK (which will vary from controller to controller).

You can toggle input plugins like the keyboard, SDL2 (for gamepads), hydras, and the Vive controllers if you have them. Menu options (Avatar->Input Devices) will only show up if they are supported. If you don’t see them, make sure cmake can find the libraries.

Also, on Mac, due to a bug in the Sixense SDK, you can’t activate Sixense while a Rift is plugged in. Since the Rift option will only come up if you have it plugged in at startup, here’s the workaround:

To use Rift:

• Run without Rift attached.
  • Turn off Sixense input device.
  • Rerun with Rift attached

If you want to use the hydra with the Rift, do the above and then:

• Detach Rift while running.
  • Enable Sixense input device.
  • Plug in Rift
  • Switch to Oculus display mode.

geez… thanks… 3 days ago I was reporting an irritating bug on this subject. (Marketplace and edit keep moving to the LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN!!)

Please allow normal users to UNCLUTTER THAT SIDE OF THE WINDOW BY ANCHORING THAT DAMNED THING IN THE RIGHT SIDE WHERE IT BELONGS!

(Extra note… as I can’t understand your geek speak I am forced to ask, you mention something above about shift butttons usage… DON’T USE THEM SO FLAGRANTLY as people have OTHER USES for those buttons (such as CAPITOL LETTERS, ETC)

Points to remember when setting up these SURPRISE (UNDOCUMENTED) ADDITITIONS…

• Most of us come from opensim style worlds (and sl).
  • The MAJORITY of the world are RIGHT HANDED AND USE THE MOUSE IN THAT
    HAND, This leaves the left (normally) to active the LEFT SIDE
    SHIFT,ALT and CONTROL BUTTON!
  • and most of all TRY TO USE COMMON ENGLISH when making these announcements!! Not EVERYONE SPEAKS AMERICAN (Or trendy geek). Try to remember there are people in the world that do NOT do your job and do not use your acronyms etc.

Do I sound pissed off??? IT’S BECAUSE I AM!! At THIS POINT I have to keep an older copy of my INTERFACE.INI on hand for EVERY TIME I LOG IN DUE TO THIS, and it’s getting OLD VERY FAST!!

I wonder why you have chosen the middle mouse button to toggle the overlays on and off seeing it is used extensively as a view controller during edit, and now every time I move sideways the overlays disappear.

I wonder if we could choose another button for this, I dont really think toggling the overlays on and off is particularly important compared to actual editing.

May I suggest this feature of yours (which was working perfectly well using the / key) could be disabled when in edit mode so as not to interfere with editing.
Thanks

amen! This one was obviously not thought out very well.

Foxxe: We’re aware of the overlays not remembering their locations properly and are looking into it. As for the shift key, when I mention the “SHIFT action,” that is completely separate from the shift key on the keyboard. These changes are intended to improve the experience with other controllers, not interfere with the keyboard. If there’s any other specific issues you’re having trouble with that we don’t already know about, I’d be happy to help or find someone who could if you could calmly present them in an organized list :smiley:. Be aware that we’re using this software daily too and bugs are just as frustrating to us as they are to you, but they only pop up in the first place because we’re trying to create a better experience.

Adrian: The reasoning behind the middle click was to make it possible to toggle while you were in an HMD, which I realize most people aren’t. We forgot middle click was used in edit, so I’ll try to get someone to disable it until we find a better solution.

Someone told me months ago that if I didn’t complain about the faults here then there would be a good chance they’d go unnoticed by developers.

Normally I keep the hell out of forums as they do tend to be battle arenas.

,One missing part of this forum (I know you guys like to call it an alpha for some odd reason) is that there are no USER BLOCKING facilites… (I’ve been attacked more than a few times in PM which natually affects my attitude in here)

We need this here… and in world.

We are still living with this inconvenient feature, Were you not able to find someone to disable it?