Updated Ubuntu Xenial Package

If you’re running Ubuntu Xenial (16.04.x) and want pre-built packages I provide them for stable (RC) and daily unstable (DEV) builds.

If you’ve previously used my packages these new packages will replace the older version – the main change is splitting Interface and Stack into distinct packages plus an improved/faster auto build system to get these packages built. If you’ve already added my signing key and repository you won’t need to do it again – just insure you have installed Qt5.9 PPA.

To use my repository you’ll need to add a PPA for Qt5.9 and import my signing key for HF packages. To do so complete following steps.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:beineri/opt-qt591-xenial
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E9A40B0F
sudo add-apt-repository "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.o2t.info/ xenial o2t-hf"
sudo apt-get update

If add-apt-repository isn’t on your system run;

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

If you want to install Interface run following command;

sudo apt-get install o2t-hifi-interface-stable

If you want to install server components run following command;

sudo apt-get install o2t-hifi-stack-stable

If, instead, you’d like to run bleeding edge daily dev builds replace stable with unstable as in;

o2t-hifi-interface-unstable
o2t-hifi-stack-unstable

Installing unstable will first remove stable, if installed, or opposite if changing from unstable to stable.

Advantage to running unstable is bugs in RC (stable) will – maybe – be fixed and you’ll have access to any new features. Disadvantage is unstable is potentially unstable and might be incompatible with HF’s current RC due to protocol mismatch. :slight_smile:

Notes;

I don’t install a desktop launcher item for Interface. Open terminal and run Interface with;

/opt/o2f-hifi/bin/interface

Stack (domain-server and assignment-client) is at;

/opt/o2t-hifi/sbin/domain-server
/opt/o2t-hifi/sbin/assignment-client

I’m not yet publishing systemd scripts for Stack (sandbox server).

Binaries are installed to /opt/o2t-hifi and binaries have been compiled to look for their support libraries that aren’t part of a “normal” Ubuntu install in same directory tree thus allowing Qt5.9 and my HF builds to exist cleanly along side system default Qt.

If you run into Issues with Interface spamming log with USB error messages see thread on my first generation HF package at Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) Package

These packages are unsupported and provided as a courtesy – if you have issues I’ll attempt to help, but, it may be days before I see/reply to any requests.

Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial) Package
Quick and Dirty Domain Setup Guide ($20 a Year)(The Dirty Kurty)
The great button test! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Goto shows domains intermittently

I get this error: “The repository ‘http://ppa.launchpad.net/beineri/opt-qt59-xenial/ubuntu zesty Release’ does not have a Release file.” Ric

That would be because it only has packages for Xenial (16.04).

I just need the updated qt debs.Thanks, Ric

Thank you so much for your work @OmegaHeron!

This thing is rad @OmegaHeron!

For those who rely upon/use these packages:

My build box for building packages and uploads to repository is located in Central Florida. As such - there’s a very very high probability it will be unable to get internet for some time once the incoming hurricane does what it’s predicted to do here.

Unfortunately I did not have time to work out another method for compiling packages as I had my hands full preparing in more important aspects. The server providing package repository lives on a droplet in Northeast USA so it won’t be impacted –

tldr version;

Whatever is on package server as of this writing may be the last update for days, if not weeks.

Cheers for the update @OmegaHeron Who would have thought giving a server a wave would cause so much grief.

@OmegaHeron - You know me and you know if you ever need a server hosted anywhere just let me know and I can help you out. I would definitely like to contribute to the cause in any way you may need.

Thanks all - packages are building and uploading again – slowly as net is still sporadic. Everything came through ok here, and for glorious future, I’ll be doing things a bit differently in reference to automated build system and redundancy. More on that another time as I still have my hands full clearing downed trees etc etc.

Good luck! I was raised in Windermere Fla. back when and went through several hurricanes. As an adult I lived in Galveston County Texas, and went through hurricanes there as well. Living a few feet above sea-level is probably not a good life choice. I’m glad I moved from there. I don’t miss fire ants at all.

PPA for Qt5.9 is about to be updated to 5.9.1 so you will need to issue following to add updated ppa.

The do your normal update/upgrade as in;

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

One note about next RC (56). Don’t expect it to be available as rapidly as usual. I’m going to make the unusual move of testing it before moving it to repository as there will be many potentially problematic changes with ATP baking and other bits. Once HF posts I’ll try to make my tests and post ASAP, but… ASAP depends on if I’m away/asleep/busy when that happens.

Oh boy! The final test!

(original post) Do you mind looking at this and telling me where I’m going wrong?

(update) this is the log of what works as of 101017

Ok… lets try a simplification as what I’m seeing in your notes is massively too complicated.

Create your instance on amazon

Get it up to date, fix up its swap file and a user to eventually run hf under as you see fit. Swap should generally not be > 2.5 times physical RAM for best results, but that’s not critical… just saying.

Do exactly the following and only the following after steps above.

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys E9A40B0F
sudo add-apt-repository "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.o2t.info/ xenial o2t-hf"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install o2t-hifi-stack-stable

o2t-hifi-stack-stable package will pull in all the necessary Qt and other dependencies – it is not necessary to pre-install Qt or any other. If it turns out o2t package does not install all needed dependencies on a new system then let me know what it’s missing and I’ll add it to dependency list.

If nothing errors out you should be able to;

ls -la /opt

and see something like…

drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Sep 27 16:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Sep 18 16:03 ..
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 o2t-hifi
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Jun 12 13:06 qt59

Then;

ls -la /opt/o2t-hifi

With something like;

drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Sep 27 16:12 ..
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 lib
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 sbin

(You may not have bin as it was a stack only install and its binaries go in sbin…)

Now try;

ls -la /opt/o2t-hifi/sbin

Assuming sbin looks something like;

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 ..
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 11685680 Oct 9 20:16 assignment-client
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 2410664 Oct 9 20:16 domain-server
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 plugins
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 9 20:16 resources

Try running assignment-client with;

/opt/o2t-hifi/sbin/assignment-client

You should either see it do "something: that appears like it’s running or throw an error, possibly about missing libraries or whatever…

If it’s running press Control C to terminate it. If not report error here.

Try running domain-server with;

/opt/o2t-hifi/sbin/domain-server

Again - it’s either going to run or error out and return you to command prompt after giving an error message…

Assuming you can run both AC and DS then you have a viable system and can move on to getting things to run via systemd or whatever.

RC 56 (Build 7262) should be posted to o2t-hifi-stack-stable (and -interface-) in about 30 minutes or less. If you have substantial assets hosted via ATP and are running on a (very) low end machine (low RAM like 512M) it very well may have issues when it attempts to bake (bake = convert textures to KTX format + “compress” meshes with Draco). I’ve tested it as best I can with a 512M droplet on digital ocean and it manages to survive the baking cycle without crashing, but, it gets mighty close at times and a 512M machine with no swap may well be doomed. It all really depends on types of assets you have hosted via ATP and if any need a large amount of memory to convert.

I was about to reply to @ChamberlainJoshuaM in the other thread but i’m glad he made his way to this one haha. Yeah I was going to say that you where going to be a bit late with this latest build because of the baking fun stuff thats going on :slight_smile:

what do you think of this?

Looks good! (adding some text because of character limit)