Using materials

hello everyone,
I see PBS is used for mats, is it still possible using regular spec/norm? if yes do you have a link to docs with the specs? ty

I looked into these docs https://wiki.highfidelity.com/wiki/Material_Export_Guide for the basic settings of norm and spec and I could find the settings I need to apply , however it didn’t work , while I am pretty sure it is my fault for not clicking an option in the exporter or something like that, I would like to know if HIFI will still work with my specular maps and normal maps applied to a phong before I continue trying to find out my own mistakes. Thank you, this is the last step before my workflow gets finalized and I can build environments ty

Yes u can just use the ordinary maps .the pbr extra maps metalness hardness and penitent can be faked or ignored .unless your object is metal the metalness can be just black and hardness can be just a grey scale version of the albedo diffuse texture .and only the penitent man shall pass

I made a tutorial video on the binding of these in Blender.

Shaders in High fidelity run on the PBR level, no shader you select in Blender will be exported in the fbx.
So its an different rendering method to the old school Diffuse/Specular/Normals of Phong.

But generally speaking its quite similar, even if technically not the same. You still need to have a color map, and you still need to have a normal map and you need to define how much a surface scatters light or shines.

Specular maps usually defined both shinyness and the color of the shine.

However due to the PBR nature, the shine color is now entirely dependent on the strength of the environment, and the surface.
Unfortunately this means you will have to do some unusual binding in Blender. Fortunately, Specular map is quite easy to convert to a Glossiness/Roughness model, but you’ll have to remember that the colors will not affect it.

Do note however that if the textures fail to load, that may cause issues of them seeming like they havent loaded
So make sure you are not using tga for your textures or any funky png compression on your textures.
Also make sure you textures are fully accessable if you are hosting them somewhere…

ok all in all this means I need a PBS plugin, which I don’t have.
Thank you Menithal, most my textures are TGA I never had a problem with this, but what compression do you use?

You dont need a PBS plugin, I just use stock Blender to do the binding. The only thing thats annoying is the previewing in blender, but you can do quite a good test when using cycles.

I use just use Non-interlaced (adobe default) 24bit png.
If you were using tga, that explains why your textures weren’t loading.

I use maya. My textures are loading, do you mean the normal and specular maps textures not loading? Thank you for your help

http://blog.highfidelity.com/blog/2016/3/5/physically-based-rendering-in-high-fidelity-for-maya-users-by-caitlyn-meeks

That’s good for Maya users

thank you Judas, but I came to ask the question after I saw that very tutorial to know about other ways

A thing I noticed when I’m texturing using Quixel is that unless the created texture (i use png’s) has a level of transparency then the pbr wont work in hifi.Quixel doesn’t do transparency so i batch export them with an action that sets each of thew texture opacity’s to 99%, then they do work

This could be completely off topic but cant hurt to share lol

thank you indeed, the object I was trying to work with to try materials with is a TGA window texture with a transparent glass :slight_smile:

K I followed all the steps from the material export settings and I still need to sort out the alpha channel but it’s working now

Im stuck having to chose in between normal+spec-alpha or spec+alpha-normal

I can solve this but it means extra vertices to create a face with the right material for the transparency so, I don’t really like the idea of adding vertices but I will do this for the moment. I have no idea which solution would be the lighter one on resources, up to the devs.

I think @ozan or @polygonmonster might be able to help you there a bit more, most of us Alphas arent that versed with Maya (mostly just Blender)
Usually, again the Alpha transparency issues can be from a variety of couses, but keeping everything default as possibile tends to have everything work ok.

thank you Menithal, so , in blender, on one single face (with a window texture = frame+glass), did you ever use both alpha channel and normal map together?

Yeah, I had a test where I had binary alpha mask and a normal map, which worked fine. but note the keyword being Binary.

I have not tested with a transparent object that has a normal map however, will try it when I get home.

Ty Menithal, Im doing non binary alpha and it is working now, I will see overtime.