VHACD - is that something to worry about yet?

-- Could NOT find VHACD, try to set the path to VHACD root folder in the system variable VHACD_ROOT_DIR or create a directory vhacd in HIFI_LIB_DIR and paste the necessary files there (missing:  VHACD_INCLUDE_DIRS VHACD_LIBRARIES)

Above doesn’t appear fatal. From what I can glean from the 'net it is something to do with mesh collision??? (The feature I am waiting for!).

Oh, yes. Mesh collision would be neat !

I noticed that one of the entity properties is a collision model URL, hence there might already be a CM for, say, the floating island. Where might that be located? @Philip mentioned there is an offline process to make collision models out of the mesh models. Where is that located? I am presently doing collision surfaces using plane entities and turning on gravity, much as I used to do in SL with big sculpts back in 2009. Would like to do right :slight_smile: soonest.

@Balpien_Hammere

I’m currently running the generally undocumented V-HACD code. Using it involves several steps 1) Obtaining the V-HACD sources from GIT and compiling 2) Getting the libs/includes in correct places 3) compile vhacd app from HiFi main tree 4) Start experimenting.

It looks like steps 1-3 at least will be brought into the main code/build system soonish (from GIT comments).

Heron domain currently has V-HACD physics in place.

@glenalec - It looks to be coming soonish. At the moment it’s a bit of a… terror… to get going, but it does work. It can take a lot of fiddling to get things in place to create physics shells then a lot more fiddling to generate a physics mesh that’s usable. I suspect much of that will be improving as vhacd is brought more into the open.

If you’re in an area having vhacd physics (currently) pressing , will show physics shapes.

For example - Heron with simple skydome and island;

Its physics;

This morning’s build (debian/sid) broke after updating my local git:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:136 (message):
  Could NOT find VHACD, try to set the path to VHACD root folder in the
  system variable VHACD_ROOT_DIR or create a directory vhacd in HIFI_LIB_DIR
  and paste the necessary files there (missing: VHACD_INCLUDE_DIRS
  VHACD_LIBRARIES)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:343 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/modules/FindVHACD.cmake:32 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  tools/vhacd-util/CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package)

So where do I obtain this VHACD you speak of? :smile:

Answer: https://github.com/highfidelity/v-hacd

Next question: Where do I put it? As a non-programmer, HIFI_LIB_DIR isn’t helping me.

@LaeMing Sorry about the confusion! We’ve recently added the V-HACD library as an external project since we’re testing it with our vhacd-util to generate collision shapes.

If you remove your CMakeCache.txt file in your build folder that should kick CMake into building V-HACD as an external project.

Thanks, b. All looking good again.