Vive vs. Rift for HighFidelity?

I’m thinking of uploading my brain to the cloud, and live in the virtual world forever.

To start, I gotta buy one VR device.

Which one is better, specifically for High Fidelity?

HTC Vive versus Oculus Rift

Before you buy any HMD gear you must have a decent computer and graphics card to drive the gear properly:
core i7, 8GB RAM (will be happier with 16GB), an Nvidia 1070 preferably a 1080. You also need a very good network connection (30Mb DL 10Mb UL or greater). The preliminaries aside,

In VR forever is around 3 years. Yes, in three years whatever gear you bought will be eclipsed by something a ton better. That said, given VR is not just about eyecandy but about the rest of your body project into the virtual space, you will need a couple of hand controllers, eventually hip and ankle controllers.

I believe the Vive has a much better tracking architecture. It scales well to adding all those tracker devices. The Rift uses cameras and burns a lot of high speed USB ports.

The Rift is lighter than the Vive. Both have problems staying in place especially when in the heat of an exciting round of virtual kickboxing or swordplay. Both HMDs have developed better head mounting but that costs more. The Vive now also has a portable/wireless add-on hardware (also costs more) so no more tangled feet in the cables.

I recommend a Vive (hand controllers included).

And remember, you will be placing your HMD gear on eBay for sale at 1/3 the price you paid originally. This will happen three years from now, maybe sooner :slight_smile: VR is a fast paced tech field.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I’m thinking of getting the new Razer Blade 14 inch with GTX 1060.

Aw then I can’t just upload my whole existence in virtual world just yet :slight_smile:

Not yet. SAO style neuro links might be a while.

That’s not true , and also pretty impossible for most users.
If you only run interface and not the sandbox or have the sandbox hosted somewhere else it works fine with 40 / 4 connection to, and that speed is more realistc. Most isp’s (at least here) give you 10% upload speed from what you have with download. So a 30/10 is weird duck. That would be 30/3

I do not run the sandbox from home. that’s only for private testing. mine is on vos in datacenter.

Where I live you can order up almost anything in bandwidth combinations. Also, provisioned speeds vary from advertised speeds. For example, I have a 30/30Mb/sec symmetric link yet it sometimes becomes a 30/40Mb/sec network connection. My neighbors down the mountain have 50/10, one person has 100/100Mb. It is all about how much you wish to pay for bandwidth and how many fiber optic lines or uplink channel repeaters are installed in your neighborhood.

The issue is not specifically about what is offered in an area, it is what you need to have a decent experience. For uplinks, much of it is about how well your voice will sound. Voice competes with your avatar’s body and limb articulation messages. The uplink speed determines how many avatars your domain will host well. On the downlink side it is all about the massive model downloads plus the mixed voice and environmental sounds, plus all the movement data of all the avatars around you. We have discussed this in the past.

And yes, since someone is going to point out that things are cached hence bandwidth is less of an issue, that is nice if you like to hang out in one domain, but for new people who are bopping around wanting to experience all the domains, the cache is not particularly useful during their jaunts.

The OP is new, he is going to travel everywhere and so he, like just about every other newcomer, will need a lot of bandwidth to have a great experience. Newcomers will quickly invite their friends to their domains they created in their local computers? Why? Because that is what High Fidelity pushes. So the numbers I gave are tuned to how most newcomers will perceive High Fidelity. That’s the truth.