Vrhost.io Now Offering HiFi Server Hosting

Website will be open for business once legal documents are complete (Terms of Service, etc).

Congrats, looks interesting. I’m glad you are thinking about a sustainable pricing model, even though it seems like alot it’s not that much compared to other SAAS hosts for business applications.

I would try to target new-to-vr customers as a priority rather than those migrating from SL, as the value proposition is apples to oranges at this stage.

With SL you are buying into the network of paying customers for 300/mo and this is proving to be too much to handle even in SL for entrepreneurs, until we have an economy the business cases for this would be commercial simulations or events.

That’s a good point you have there. Making it easy to use for newbies would certainly help.

I looked all over the site for a reference image. Suggestion maybe to include one for curious potential patrons?

Good call man! Thanks!

I have direct access to ‘impressive amounts’ of bandwidth and while I wouldn’t likely need hosting; I am interested in your ‘additional services to other domains’ might jot down a bit of info on those as well.

Developers section for API inquiries?

Thanks.

That’s another really good idea.

kermit

As a business owner with a month of experience in Hifi, I can say with 100% certainty that I would never deploy on a $5 Lightsail image to whatever it is you are selling if they are running Ubuntu. You should be up front about how unstable Hifi and Hifi on Ubuntu is. I don’t know about last night’s release because I don’t mess with Ubuntu anymore, but the release before broke Ubuntu Sandboxes to the point Omega had to post that nobody should upgrade (not realistic). If your entire offer is built around a system that can be taken down with an update, what is your refund policy? You certainly can’t have an uptime guarantee…

So… That was pretty easy to do.

To be clear - that post I made in reference to RC57 (I think it was) applied equally to Windows and MacOS as the issue was in all – I only warned users of my Ubuntu package as I feel a (minor) sense of responsibility to them.

Three years of this and I can say this without pause - Ubuntu + HiFi’s server code is absolutely fine unless HiFi breaks it. Stability and performance is > with properly built binaries on Ubuntu than, admittedly old at this point, comparisons I did to Windows and MacOS.

If I were running a hosting business (no thanks – my feeling is there’s no profit in this, but that’s just me) – I’d pretest whatever latest RC build spews forth, looking over all the QA notes posted publicly for its lineage in github and do a QA before pushing it out to my paying customers regardless of that leading to a lag in being compat with whatever HF pushes.

I have never had instability issues with Ubuntu. Perhaps your implementation is bad?

Yeah that’s the big PITA… dealing with failed builds. HiFi is still in beta after all…

U know if I start my own vr server service we will have more services than users

That’s alright! There will be plenty for everyone someday!

Just putting in my 5 cents on the matter, coming from someone who a year ago had a tutorial on compiling Hifi’s server on a Raspberry Pi, my OS of choice is Ubuntu (though I have compiled on Fedora and CentOS). Any stability issues was due to platform (Armhf) or due to a clumsy mistake (wrong Qt version but still a successful build).

Well that all worked itself out rather nicely, eh? Ubuntu servers with Hifi support! Timing was ON POINT.

Site is up and ready for business! (finally)

You can build your own or use a free server.

Yes you can, but when you get tired of updating or when you need more traffic you will probably want to look into a dedicated or VPS server. That’s what we are here for!