We had our hifi sandbox world running on one computer. we are trying to get the same world running on a different computer. Which files define the world created, that we should copy to the other computer?

we want to be able to run the same world separately from multiple computers.

Migrating a world?

/me wonders if there’s a Really Long Message Title badge. :smiley:

First I must say: I am not the one to ask.

But I might try copying:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\High Fidelity\Stack Manager\resources\models.json.gz

to the same place in the other machines. Oh… and you may have to change “user” to what ever the name of the logged on account is. But like I said, I am not the one to ask.

Maybe it would be best to wait for someone who knows better than I to respond.

[edited to add]
Actually, I am not sure what you are asking here. Copying asset list will only make each instance have the same content.

If you want to have each computer be able to make changes to a place that all see, you need to host it somewhere that all can connect to and is online all the time.

I probably should not have responded to this at all until I know more about exactly what you are trying to do.

This opens a can of worms because it doesnt just do what you are asking for…
So @Twa_Hinkle is right we need more info about exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Firstly the simple answer to part of your question about the files, is (for Sandbox)

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\High Fidelity\assignment-client\entities\models.json.gz
is where all your content is, and

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\High Fidelity\domain-server\config.json
is where your settings are.

(nb. the address that Twink provided is from the older config when it was Stack Manager.)

Copy those files and put them in the same folders of the new computer and they will both display the same content but they will be 2 distinct worlds which need 2 different addresses to connect, if you make changes on one it wont reflect on the other one. You will just have 2 clones of the same starting point.
Conflicts will develop if you copy the same config.json and then run both systems, as the Hifi register will try to apply the same domain ID to both sandboxes and things will break. Use this model as a backup and only ever run one at a time to avoid conflicts.

The architecture is developing to allow one computer to add its processing power to a sandbox running on another computer by means of an assignment client, this is how you make 2 computers run the one world.

(actually doing this is a whole nother set of questions and directions and well beyond the scope of my answer)

Yeah its my day off.

ROFL!! Thankyouthankyouthankyou. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sometimes it’s just fun seeing what badges they dream up. And earning then, too, of course. :smiley:

The sandbox is the world simulator (it is slightly more complicated than this but keeping it simple else too much tech baggage will confuse the following – and yes, this is a very long parenthetical remark in keeping with the spirit of the ask :slight_smile: )

You can access that sandbox from the same computer it is running in, or, you can access it from other computers. You do this by entering the IP address of the computer hosting the sandbox into the interface app.

Hit enter then enter something like 102.168.254.12 (this is just an example IP address, you need to use the actual IP address of your sandbox computer).

The above works fine from other computers in your local network. It will generally not work from computer outside of your local network because most internet connections are firewalled.

If you want to get to your computer from other computer outside your local network, the easiest way to do that is to get a place name. They cost $20 a year. If that seems like sticker shock, then get a temporary place name, that’s free and lasts about a month. The details on doing that is here:
https://readme.highfidelity.com/docs/locations--location-urls

Thanks for this detailed answer @Adrian! Quick question please: when you copy all the contents from your (initial) computer that you found in
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\High Fidelity\assignment-client\entities\models.json.gz

-where do you put them if your (destination) computer (where you want the world to now run instead) is a Mac, not a PC?

Thanks!!

I dont run Mac as a rule, but according to the docs the content for Mac is found at…

~/Library/Application Support/High Fidelity/assignment-client/

Of course you will have already installed Hifi on the Mac, and then you replace the models.json.gz file that is created upon instal, with the one from the built domain.

I often spin up a clean build on my localhost, which is not publicly accessible and immediately replace the models.json.gz with the one from a built domain. and then I can do all kinds of testing and buggery without affecting my live domain, if I am happy with the changes I take the file back to my live domain and run the changes there.

Remember to keep a copy of the file, things go wrong all the time.
Also remember to stop the server before you replace the file or it will overwrite it when you shutdown.

Steps…
Stop server (dont shut it down) replace the models.json.gz, start the server.

There is generally not much need to replace the config.json if you havent set a lot of zones, assignment scripts and/or names on your lists. It mainly carries the metaverse data (domain ID) which is needed by the Hifi directory to add you to the metaverse, and also the admin name and password. You can manually put the password in via the server settings webpage afterwards.

Thanks @Adrian! Appreciate your help!