What is a good object size in MB? When is big to big?

Building a new house. this one seems to be very good. and less vertices waste.
Now with HMD you need bigger textures. I try to keep them small where possible. but that does not always work without to much quality lose and blurr.

I need to combine some materials now , because in build state it’s more easy to wrok with separate parts. Now i start to add JPG textures. yes i not go use PNG because the bloat the FBX file. it’s around 9MB now. I think that’s still fien for the size.

But there’s really not a good indication what is good with textures and vertices.
Because with VR you ned to maek in blender things more 3D and avoid stupid textures and PBR seems to give wrong results to.

Planning to make the roof 3D to, because a flat texture looks ugly.
But when is big to big in filesize ? textures or in FBX, still best solution for now.

It is really dependent on the size of the object and how often you are going to put it in.

Forexample a large Building that is 40 Mb is nothing, but a 40 Mb car begins to push limits, unless its used in many places with Textures.

Textures tend to inflate sizes quite a bit. asvertice count doesnt really add much to file size until you exceed 50k, but it is very expensive in rendering as you stack more instances.

This is why many game engines use normal maps and tessalation, displacement over creation of higher-poly count models.
Of those we only have Normal maps in High Fidelity, which you need to work around with.

Norma maps inflate the file size, especially with normal maps, but normal maps cannot have much compression on them or otherwise it will be visible when the light bounces off an object.

There also is a question on how fast you want to have a model load. a 50 mb file would take a few seconds on a good connection but it can take upto a minute on a sub-par one.

This is why it is very important to do learn and work with UV mapping which is a very big topic to squeeze the most detail out of any textures even if the textures are tiny, and minimize amount of materials (and with it amount of textures per texture). There is a lot to learn in it, such as Pixel alignment among other things, basically to a more advanced degree of control than applying textures in SL.

Yes i know how to squueze much out of uv maps. as long hou do that on normal textures. As soon you need to paint or bake uv maps the do just the oppodite and inflate things because you need bigger imsge sizes.

Baking uv maps works good on smaller objects wher you can use small textures. For small objects substance painter is good. for a home i use textures and not baked uv maps thats more efficient.

Anyway the file size for my home is not to bad.

If making buildings or anything with overlapping UV, you should have the normal map, albeido, roughness and glow (if needed) ready. You shouldn’t bake anything when doing so because you’d otherwise you will need much larger textures to keep the same detail.

Baking and Painting should only be done when you want to do it, but you have to remember it is a destructive process and should be done before UV Mapping if you have overlapping UV.

It’s not destructive if you use something like substance painter for the painting and PBR. But that is what i know from video. I need to test it myself.

No, it still is destructive:you have a texture and you overlap UV Components, you will draw on those components as well.

Same thing when baking, each baked part will overwrite upon the other and that is quite destructive to a normal map where directions are different per each part.

Vertices count.
Blender is telling me 4K
High fidelity is very unreliable first it where 75K i did a relog it jumped up to 202K
Not going to trust high fidelity stats. The cannot be so high. I never have used so many vertices at all.

So best is just keep it as low as possible. And trust the blender stats. Not the Hifi ones.