What's Holding Social VR Back?

What’s holding social VR back? A Norwegian blogger and VR designer gives some reasons why:

Just mirroring my comment: The VR in Social VR is a contributing factor. What I mean by this is that a good chunk of people end up passing the experiences because they assume they need a headset to enjoy it, when every platform mentioned in the article all have a desktop, non-VR mode. I stand by my original statement that the most successful platform is the one that can advertise both its VR and non-VR capabilities.

tired of interacting with strangers

We all strive to be closer to the people in our lives, There are actually two distinct uses for Social media in my opinion.

1. To keep in touch with real life friends and family
  2. To meet new people and form online communities based on interest

Since VR isn’t going to be available for #1 in most cases (mom and pop will not be getting HMDS anytime soon), This leaves only the new friends/interest angle.

Communities are something that can’t be forced, and #2 assumes that the other users are the ‘product’ which is very problematic in my mind.

User created content goes even further in placing the pressure on users to be the reason that a platform is successful.

A truly successful social situation cannot be ‘designed and built’ and must form organically (Cough Fortnight) …

In general the concept of ‘Social VR’ is just not very appealing when stood up against actual games and experiences.

So be able to build our own thing, but have them on a common place would maybe a better way to get an organical organization. With the actual model (separated worlds), it left always behind something empty.