Where are hifi servers located?

What are people using to run hifi servers? For instance: a pc at home, a rented server in a hosting company, Amazon EC2, etc. I am particularly interested in info about EC2 or similar usage in terms of server type, cost, etc.

Thanks

1. Mac Mini located at Data Center
  2. PC at home
  3. Cloud servers on Digital Ocean

Then - to really have fun. Combinations of all 3. Domain server on 1, assignments running from others.

My primary domain, Heron, runs full time on Mac Mini @ Data center though.

I’ll be using a VPS rented at a hoster.

What size server are you using at Digital Ocean and how well does it work?

Domain and Assignment servers run off my home box (an ageing, but still quite beefy PC running Linux). Content from my web space at my ISP (who’s local - to me - servers are in Sydney).

Presently, my home box is going full-belt 24-7 re-compressing my personal video library to x265, but that doesn’t seem to interfere with my (low-use - usually just me) servers. My main limitation is my ADSL2 home link, though I am close enough to the exchange to get around 720kbit upstream (10Mbit down). They started digging up my street for NBN (Not-quite-Broadband Network) yesterday, so in several months that will be on, and if I decide to pay $3000 ($2000 after tax-deducting it) for a proper fibre cable in instead of re-purposed phone-pair that is the default*, I could get 25Mbit upstream and run everything locally with ease.

*. The current Australian government has decided that Australia is going to be a nation of cud-chewing passive content consumers, so upstream speeds are unimportant. Yeah, I’m a bit bitter on that one.

Currently I’m using 512M/1 CPU machines and it’s perfectly adequate. There’s little memory or CPU intensive in the current stack. But that could change as more demanding calculations for physics come into play. The biggest issue with small/cheap Digital Ocean droplets is their allowed bandwidth. If you ran full time and got busy you might hit that wall.

It seems that most of the world (here in the US especially) still has the mindset that no one needs or wants any uplink bandwidth. I have about 2Mbs uplink speed but I have to pay for about 50Mbs downlink speed to get it.

I don’t understand having to pay that kind of money for a connection to fiber. Seems crazy!

Ok. Thanks. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Did you do the whole build for the servers up there or copy the executables?

Domain/assigment running from home. webstorage i have from hoster.

@morrisford, not use but its the same. you always get lower upload then download. unless your lucky and can get fiber.

If you don’t have a Digital Ocean account and want a referral code I can provide - you’ll get some free time and I might get a reward to if you stay around long enough. I also probably have a coupon code around for another $10 so you could get at least $10 credit, if not $20.

Also - if you go with one - pick Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit as it makes it relatively easy to get stack going. Yes, 64 bit even with the low RAM. The other thing to watch for is Digital Ocean does not configure their droplets with swap. That’s an easy fix - and I use 2 gigs swap, a bit excessive for a 512M machine, but it comes in handy for the times you need to do some serious compiling on it. I.E. Building stack.

“I don’t understand having to pay that kind of money for a connection to fiber. Seems crazy!”

Because Aussie politicians like post-retirement board positions on the incumbent Telco?

Also. That is the cost of running the fibre cable. Not a yearly expense. Still rather expensive, though! I believe once the cable is in, you pay more-or-less the same NBN prices as the copper-users.

I build on the droplet - it’s easily done if you add swap as I mentioned in other post and use Ubuntu 14.10 vs 14.04.

Do you just use the standard linux swap setup commands to get swap going? I would assume so. I have created a droplet (14.10 - 32 bit) , built hifi and have been in and out. I am currently looking for instructions about registering the domain and getting one of my place names linked up. Also, where do I find stack to build?

You may have issues with it being 32 bit - QT has some reported/acknowledged issues with 32 bit Linux (perhaps that’s been fixed by now, but keep it in mind).

For swap I use

fallocate -l 2G /swapfile
chmod 600 /swapfile
mkswap /swapfile
swapon /swapfile
nano /etc/fstab

You’ll very soon also need to have bullet sim 2.8 compiled and installed to build. Comments indicate its days as optional have ended.

You only need to build assignment-client and domain-server. The GUI wrapper (stack manager) will be of no use unless you have a GUI install of Ubuntu (vs the correct choice of command line only server install), VNC and modify stack manager to fit your custom setup.

Currenly on a mac mini server from my home.

There is that one library that’s on a USB thumb drive hooked up to an Ardruino.

hifi://Openvue and hifi://OpenVCE run off Windows 8.1 servers within the University of Edinburgh.

hifi://Here is hosted on a virtual private server (KVM) in a datacenter, hifi://Place is currently hosted on a MacMini in a datacenter. I am also about to setup another one on a DigitalOcean VPS in SanFran since I have credits to use.

Do you have a url for the appropriate bullet sim?

I posted it in my Ubuntu 14.10 compile instructions thread.

https://alphas.highfidelity.io/t/setup-ubuntu-14-10-for-hf-compile/1190/20