Where the cool kiddies play

I would be overjoyed with a simple Jukebox in my domain which I could fill up with ~20 MP3s (copyright cleared & hosted on my S3-Server), so that my visitors could push a button to hear their favorite song :purple_heart::musical_note::sunglasses:

Is this scriptable? :kiss:
If so - please put it on the marketplace :kiss::kiss:

I guess if an entity server was handling some work, you could have basic audio syncing.

If you host your domain privately and it isn’t open to the public, you’re perfectly legal there. Not that I would have any reason to say anything if it was open to the public; I’ve simply put in the time to ensure what was and what wasn’t able to be pursued by those that might have reason to come hunt me down. :smiley: So I felt it might be polite to share that information.

I put a link to some of the research I did in my dev blog thread Captain’s Log. Go check it out if you’re curious. It contains the do’s and dont’s for storefront owners that would like to stream music in their facilities… and honestly, you might be surprised just how much is legal. If for example, you are a storefront owner and you are only using the music for ambiance, and not for sale directly (meaning you aren’t selling the recording itself) then the royalties are pretty damn low; on the grand scheme of things. Have a cover band doing a song from a famous artist? So long as you disclose to them you don’t have the rights, it’s the performers’ responsibility to maintain their own rights to play back their own renditions of a given track.

Kinda interesting. Ya know… if that’s your thing. :wink:

Technical problems will eventually be resolved. The crux of VR involvement is what many are saying here: we need an “excuse” for involvement. It’s an ancient need. Think about playing cards. That’s just an excuse to sit around and shoot the bull. Like monkeys picking fleas off each other, we need a reason to congregate. That’s a simple social truth.

So what is inhibiting this?

Richardus.Raymaker is right in listing the lack of chat as the #1 problem: (we need) “A good chat system and IM system. So people can communicate and call each other. There’s no way to communicate in high fidelity. Except voice that people not always can or want to use.”

Think about the social uses of text chat and IM. When I used Second Life I rarely used voice to talk to strangers. That’s probably because I am female, and wanted to know if the person I was talking to was going to go off on some droolingly obscene rant. I had to get to know them first. So, text. Then, when I was sure they weren’t a pervert, I’d go to something more intimate, maybe voice, maybe IM. Or maybe we would never develop a level of connection that went beyond text. There are many levels of connection available.

That’s not the only scenario that points out the social differences in these kinds of communication. Think about the private IM you might make to a friend in a group–it’s supportive, it’s a closer connection. Or joining group chat at an event–a meeting of like minds in a public space. There are a lot of nuances that develop out of these different kinds of conversations. I agree with Dr Fran: 'The one problem with performances in HiFi is that it’s hard to have a conversation while they are ongoing. One thing that I always likes about SL was that I could chat with the folks in the audience while watching the show, or dancing, or having a private convo with someone else."

Think about the value of text chat as a transcript of a meeting. As a way to get up to speed when you come late to an event. Think of IM and group chat as a way to encourage a small group, or even to say something really intimate to a close friend.

Maybe I am just a tender little snowflake, but I think expecting newcomers to jump right into voice might make some of them, especially females, reluctant to participate. Worth considering, anyway.

That said, I also think games are a great idea.

As per my previous post about chat:

Again, this is going to be a case where chat in VR just doesn’t work. In desktop, sure, but desktop isn’t the only player here. Even with the new keyboard implemented, you want someone in VR to use a handicapped keyboard just to poke back at someone for… what reason?

I get it. Text chat is considered a baseline thing in most systems. The problem is that text entry isn’t very good in VR. I could see IMs being a thing, but at this time, there is no central system available to handle that and if one was to be made, it’d require all parties to agree to it.

Something I have been thinking about… what would make HiFi kick is an integrated game API. Babylon.js would be a great platform to work with. I have not done any programming in HiFi of yet. Has anyone tried this? If gamers could use HiFi to create interactive inworld games this would be a big push IMHO. One thing I noticed is that about a few minutes in is that well… people need something to do. This is more on world developers than HiFi. Worlds need to be more engaging.

So… webgl on web entities actually work fairly well. I was able to pull up art station and show off the recent projects Kat has worked on via Marmoset Toolbag. This worked in both desktop and VR.

In the past, I was able to play Agar.io in a web panel using the laser pointer from the VR controllers as a mouse, and it worked actually very well.

As for writing objects and libraries, they do seem to work rather well in High Fidelity, having written custom objects for my Radial Menu system.

So in theory, something like Babylon.js could be made for High Fidelity, but like most things:

Someone has to actually do it.

This must indeed come from Hifi. No adoption will be made if it’s a 3rd party that is providing this service unless they add it out of the box as the official communication channel. This would need to be linked to our account also, and able to notify us. Many solution has been put on the table so far, none get adopted.

For sure that would be a relatively quick win to have a IM system.
(If I have have been able to code one from scratch, I’m sure they can do better than me.)

One problem: High Fidelity is designed to be decentralized.

We (the community) have talked many times about how to possibly establish such a way in where IMs could be done but still be decentralized. One way was to handshake domains together that form a type of mesh network to send the messages. Upon connecting with someone, you can also exchange IM keys so that you can encrypt messages between each other. When a message gets sent, it gets encrypted and dispatched out to the server system established in the trusted network. During this time, no server can read the message. Only when it gets sent to the designated target can the message be read by the target themselves (since they have the other key to decrypt the message).

In essence, this would allow IMs with people who don’t even have accounts.

A similar system could be employed on High Fidelity’s system, where it uses the connection system as a form of key management (which it already has access to).

On the subject of IMs and offline messages sent to other users on a decentralized system… I’m wondering if it might be worth studying how the Diaspora social-network system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(social_network) ) works, and maybe adapt some ideas and techniques from that. I mean, they’re not really a chat system, per se, they’re more of a Facebook-replacement (and Google+ stole a lot of surface-detail features from it…) but there are probably lessons and principles we can learn from them wrt decentralized communication, after all, their system is based on the principle that people can have their own independent pod (basically a stand-alone node in cyberspace, with its own set of user accounts, that can interact with other nodes, each also having their own user accounts), but any user on any one of these pods can subscribe to and follow anyone on any other pod, and can also send them messages, and friend them, and so on.

We can already log on the HF site with our account, I suppose they could plug a web base IM system on that, with a web service login page callable from an in-world js script using an api designed to give a security token.

Such mechanisim that could be even an open authenticator.

You get the security token from an API (as a logged user) in Interface. getSecurityKey(username, URL)
The token get from this could be verified one a web service on the HF website… (Parameter: username, URL, secirityKey) this return if the key is valid or not.

Using this, you could plug any external system you want with a trustable access.

https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/

Well, I said it was off-topic, but is seems it wasn’t.

I’ve actually been thinking about this for a few weeks now, a “record player” (mp3 player) with records (playlists) that you can swap out from time to time. I’m sure something like this would be doable.

This works:
http://metaverse.bashora.com/HFSLchat/index.php

I would be overjoyed with a simple Jukebox in my domain which I could fill up with ~20 MP3s (copyright cleared & hosted on my S3-Server), so that my visitors could push a button to hear their favorite song

I started working on this after I saw your post and I’ve got a very early stage boombox in the works! There’s no queue or anything yet, just the core mechanics of playing songs, but you can swap out URLs in the user data to change the song list with a name and URL. It’s buggy (like I said, very early stage!) but if people are interested, I can keep working on it and do a write-up on how it works.

URL to the JSON: https://hifi-content.s3.amazonaws.com/liv/dev/BoomBox/BoomBoxPrototype.json
I also put a version in Maker on the coffee table near the landing spot.

Oh this is amazing!
Thank you so much :purple_heart::musical_note::sunglasses:
Can’t wait to get back home to try it!!

ok you win, that’s great, well done. far more advanced than what I’ve been working on.

Oh! I didn’t mention this in the original post but anyone here, please feel free to take any code that I post here on the forums and adopt it / change it if it’s helpful to you!